We Recommend CUCAS For BLCU Students --- Free Applications For 2014-15

Beijing Language and Culture University Q&A #4: David

Image source

Hello everyone! It's been a while since I last put up a new post here at The BLCU Blog, so I figured if I at least put up one of my recent email exchanges with a reader in the form of a Q&A it would be better than nothing.

Obviously now is a busy time for people who are planning to go study Chinese at BLCU because the new term is about to begin. This has been reflected in the number of emails I've been receiving from readers and I'll try my best to get some more Q&As up on the blog. I've been busy with real life things for the past few months.


I just want to take this moment to thank everyone who has been supporting the blog, commenting, liking the Facebook page and spreading the word to friends and family, or on social networks and online communities. Seeing interaction and hearing from readers helps give me motivation to keep adding new content.

And now, let's take a look at today's question and answer, which comes from a reader called David:

"I've just finished my application for the 2013 February class and I'm looking around for places in Wudaokou. Given the subject of this email, you may think I'm looking for something very western or convenient -- I'm not.

I don't want to live on campus, but I don't need much from an apartment. I don't need furniture, air conditioning (though I'd love it), or modern trappings. Really, all I want is a studio with a kitchen.

I know Beijing is changing. Are there a lot of unfurnished studios in the Wudaokou area? I went to the Beijinger and Peking Lettings and most of the apartments I saw were not only outside my price range, but also nicer than I need or want.

Are there any other resources available? Oh, one more thing (and this is why I ask if I have unrealistic expectations), I'm 30 and I've done the roommate thing, and I'm really not interested in splitting a place, even for the financial advantage. Is that the only cheap way to live in Wudaokou?

Thanks for your input. Also, thanks for keeping the blog up even after graduation."

I'm not sure I can be of much help on this accommodation question, as I shared a 4,000 RMB apartment with my girlfriend which we split down the middle (2,000 RMB each per month). It was a studio with kitchen and bathroom, new build and very nice, but clearly too expensive for one person.

The fact that you're already checked the Beijinger and Peking Lettings leaves little for me to suggest. You can, of course, once you get there arrange to view some places with estate agents which may not be visible online. They could also recommend precisely which areas are cheapest, maybe a bit further out from campus but still within cycling distance (pick up a cheap bike!).

You'll definitely need air conditioning during winter and summer (to either make it warmer or cooler), but every place will be fitted with one anyway. Hopefully you also have a radiator, as I'm not sure that all places do (certainly the very cheap ones might not). Accommodation on the BLCU campus does.

As more and more people go to BLCU every year, prices in Wudaokou and the areas around the university are only going to keep rising, not to mentioned prices in Beijing generally going up. Plus, China is still experiencing rapid economic growth which certainly won't help make things any cheaper!

Glad you've found the blog useful, even if I've maybe not been that helpful in this reply! You could ask for further help on Chinese-Forums Beijing section. The guys there know what they're talking about.

"If you don't mind, I have one more question: with what I'm assuming was a good work ethic, how much improvement did you see in your Mandarin during your year there?"

Huge improvement. And it doesn't leave you after you go. Could I have achieved this standard in my own country? Absolutely not.

One last thing...

Access blocked websites like Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and more from BLCU and China with PureVPN!


If you enjoyed this post, you can subscribe to The BLCU Blog for free updates. You can also follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page. Feeling generous? Why not buy me a coffee through our donation button at the top of the blog? Thank you very much for your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment