We Recommend CUCAS For BLCU Students --- Free Applications For 2014-15

Medical Examination At The Beijing Language and Culture University


In this post I thought we could take a look at the medical examination you will probably have to do once you arrive at the Beijing Language and Culture University. It is a basic health check that every student is required to undergo, unless you have the results of a health check from your own country of origin that the Chinese government recognises.

An American friend of mine at BLCU had the tests done in the US before coming to Beijing so that he wouldn't have to do them there, but BLCU didn't recognise the certificates and he was required to retake the tests anyway. So keep this in mind if you are thinking along the same lines. Your health check certificates from home may not be accepted in China.

The medical for BLCU cost 600 RMB and was organised within the first week of term starting. Coaches would take a different group of students to a hospital about half an hour away each day at 14:00. You would be assigned which day you were going during the registration period.

Once at the hospital, the queues were quite long and when you eventually did get to to the front you were registered and told to get some paperwork signed at 6 different rooms. Each room performed different tests including blood testsscans and so on. Waiting to be seen didn't take too long as normally there were only a few students ahead of you at each area.

When all your tests were done you could head back to the coach and wait for everyone else to finish. All in all it didn't take more than an hour or two and you were back at BLCU before long. I can't remember if you were issued your results straight away or whether the university got them a few days later. Either way, I still have my certificates bearing the all important official seal of approval from the Chinese government.

If it emerges that you have any serious illnesses, I believe it is grounds to refuse you entry to the course at BLCU and deport you back home. So it's something to be taken seriously.

Now let's take a quick look at the 3 test papers I received after completing the medical examination.


As you can see, this is some sort of scan, but I'm not sure what is shows. Is it a heart scan or something? Perhaps someone reading this who is studying medicine or works in the healthcare sector might be able to tell just by looking at it. Either way, I don't know, but it's one of two pieces of paper I got back from my tests.


The title of this page is "Physical Examination Record For Foreigner And The Personnel From Hong Kong Macao And Taiwan".

I have deliberately cut off the top section of this page as it shows personal information including full name, gender, date of birth, nationality, passport or ID no., and the school you are applying to (which in my case was BLCU). These details are all given in both English and Chinese.

As the image quality is not great, I will briefly run through what the various boxes show. In order, under the section titled "Medicine & Surgery", we have: height, weight, blood pressure, development, nutritional level, pulse rate, skin, lymph nodes, thyroid, head and neck, spine, extremities, heart, lungs, cardiovascular system, chest, abdomen, nervous system, and other. All my results show "no abnormal findings". I wonder why they didn't pick up on my asthma in the "lungs" section?

Under the section at the bottom titled "E.N.T" we have: uncorrected vision, corrected vision, hearing, colour sense, eyes, ears, nose, throat, tonsils, and other. Again, all the tests here show "no abnormal findings" except that they have picked up on my short-sightedness in uncorrected vision.


This is the back of the page we have just looked at above. We can see sections for chest x-rayECGb-ultrasoniclaboratory test, and suggestions at the very bottom. You can also make out the official stamp of approval at the bottom right of the page, the doctor's name and date (March 10, 2010).

So this has been the little insight I've offered to readers of my blog regarding the medical examination done at BLCU when you first arrive. I hope you've found it useful or at least you now know what to expect. If you have any comments or further questions, please leave them in the comments section below.

One last thing...

Access blocked websites like Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and more from BLCU and China with PureVPN!


If you enjoyed this post, you can subscribe to The BLCU Blog for free updates. You can also follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page. Feeling generous? Why not buy me a coffee through our donation button at the top of the blog? Thank you very much for your support!

23 comments:

  1. I love all your posts and I wanted to thank you for taking your time and writting. I was wondering if you could maybe write or send me some info about the cell phones and 3G networks (for IPAD) in China ( how much does it cost, or if they work) I’m planning on buying an IPad but I’m debating whether to buy it just wireless or with 3G
    . I'm traveling next month and I would also like to know what should I bring with me from the States (things that I can't find in Beijing or are considerable more expensive)? I heard I should bring my personal care products, anything else you think of.
    Also do you know if the gym Fusion offers any group excersice classes, like Yoga, Zumba, Boot Camp, spinning?
    Thank you so much for your time, I and many people around the world really appreciate your help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ana, thanks for the comments.

    Unfortunately I'm not aware what the situation is with 3G networks for your iPad as that is something I never had experience with when I was at BLCU.

    If you want to find out more on that though, I suggest you start a thread over at Chinese-Forums Beijing section: http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/forum/30-beijing/

    Regarding cell phones, when you register at BLCU you should be given a free China Mobile sim card. I believe it is the M-Zone sim card. Rates are very cheap and it can be topped-up on campus (I recommend the Friendship store next to LaVita Cafe for doing this).

    The only things I really suggest you take from home is some western medicine such as ibuprofen or anything that you take regularly or when you're sick. Otherwise I don't think you need to worry as most things can be bought there. I think you should be able to find good selection of personal care products too, but there's no harm taking your own if that's what you want to do.

    The Fusion gym on campus offers a lot of classes which are often included with the membership, with the exception of a few. So that won't be a problem for you at all.

    Hope this has helped a bit and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this blog, really really useful. I haven't had a medical done in the UK as it's not necessary for the X Visa, so I was worried when I saw that you needed a medical cert for registration. I guess I can just wait and get it done out there rather than paying the hefty fees to have it done privately in the UK.

    This blog is a great resource for preparing to come over to BLCU. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Catrin! Yes, I would recommend you have it done in Beijing. Much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to BLCU myself in a month and your blog is really useful!

    As for the scan, I think it is the ECG (a heart scan). I had to do the medical to apply for the X-visa and I have a similar scan included in my papers from the medical. I got as many pieces of paper as I could get: the Foreigner Physical Examination form all filled out and doctor's stamps+signatures on each page (the more stamps the better here??), heart scan and lab results. Let's hope they accept it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comments, CM, and good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for all your posts. They shed such light on the BLCU student life.

    I have a few questions if you don't mind.

    I recently applied for an x-visa and the embassy took my original copy of the JW201 form. If they don't give it back, is it still possible for me to register at BLCU with a photocopy of the form?

    Lastly, in relation to your arriving without accommodation post, if I arrive in Beijing on August 30 but registration is on the 31st, can I already get a dorm? Or do I have to wait for the 31st? I am a government scholar, if that information helps.

    Thank you for your time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really appreciate your all of your posts. So far, your blog is the most resourceful page that I know about BLCU's life for international students. Thank you very much for your time and sincerity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks a lot for your comments, it's always nice to hear that all the time I've put into this blog is being appreciated by others and that it's become a useful resource for people looking for information on BLCU! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bert, sorry I never replied to your comment. I'm sure if you explain to BLCU the situation regarding your JW201 form they will understand. Photocopies are probably fine.

    You can get dorms before registration, yes. Thanks for reading and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very informative! I'm wondering if they ask you questions about your general health before undergoing the check-ups? Or do they just do the regular check-ups (lab tests) without asking any questions? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stephanie, thanks for leaving a comment. I don't recall them asking any questions during the tests, but it is over 18 months since I did them. This may be partly due to a lot of people not speaking Chinese when they arrive and also the fact that the nurses probably don't speak any English.

    I hope you enjoy your time at BLCU!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi i'm zahirah. i've done the test in my country which is recognized by china but i've lost the x-ray.. i only have the medical report. is it necessary to bring the x-ray during the registration at blcu?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Zahirah, I don't believe there was an x-ray taken during the medical at BLCU so I don't think you'll be needing it. You shouldn't have x-rays done unless really necessary anyway as they shoot you with radiation. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ouh..thanks a lot michael. really appreciate it. I am excited to study in BLCU. Next week i'll fly to Beijing to register in BLCU.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hey michael dunno where i should send this but I've decided to do a little blog about my travels and thought it might be useful for some people.
    http://shooting-planes.blogspot.com/

    thanks

    darren

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, Darren. Have added you to my blogroll! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. it seemed very complete the medical exam...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Do I also have to take place in the medical test, even if I`m a short term student with an F-Visa?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As i heard everyone should take the medical test in order to get the residence permit.

      Delete
    2. A student with an F-visa doesn't need a residence permit....

      Delete
  20. Did they do a pee/drug test?

    ReplyDelete